Monday, April 25, 2011

get out

Spring and its tolerable temps are quickly fleeting here in Phoenix. Pair that with a masochistic desire to tear up our yard and there's not much time left to get out and explore the desert.

Our last hike was over 3 weeks ago. We drove 40 minutes out to Usery Mountain Regional Park which is right on the edge of Phoenix's suburban mega-sprawl. We didn't quite make it all the way around the mountain (7 miles) and even still, the poor doggie was wiped out on our way back to the car. I think she really appreciated the cheese I shared with her during our post-hike gorging at In-n-Out. It made the hike completely worth it.


Ocotillo flowers.

Shade is hard to come by out here.

I love me a dead cactus.

Craaaaaazy arms.


I walked a bit further than our turn-around point to catch a glimpse of the Four Peaks.


Ginger scrambled up this steep hill in pursuit of a lizard. And then she couldn't get down.

See how exhausted she looks towards the end of the hike? I've never before seen her lay down to drink her water.

I bet he thought about stealing this saguaro for our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment