Monday, November 22, 2010

down on the farm

Yesterday, the farm that grows our CSA veggies had an open house.  Even though I had to fly solo, I'm so glad I went.  Crooked Sky Farms is a pretty neat operation.  Farmer Frank's main growing field is surrounded on three sides by industrial park and by a freeway on the fourth side.  It's kind of crazy to think that we get all of our super fresh veggies from an all-natural farm in the middle of sprawling Phoenix.

They had a big spread for chowing down - all of it from the farm: 
fried eggs
sweet potato & turnip hash (mental note to make this next time pesky turnips show up in my share)
creamed greens
pot of beans
roasted potatoes
green salad with maple walnut dressing (another mental note to make this)
sweet potato & turnip chips

Yum! Plus it was cool and crisp and just a bit blustery with rain on the horizon - a welcome change for this Southwest newcomer.



In related news, the CSA talk of the week has been the giant kabocha squash we all received in our shares.  Feast your eyes on 24 pounds of squashy majesty that's way bigger than my head:
 
  
I've heard this type of squash is especially delicious - like a sweet potato, so I'm really hoping that I can actually manage to cut it open!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I am a HUGE fan of vegetables! When I read the food they had above I literally said "Uhhhhhh," craving the food.

    ReplyDelete