Thursday, March 10, 2011

snowflakes and graupel and sleet, oh my

A couple weeks ago, I found myself in a very surreal spot - surrounded by snow in the desert!

I had signed up for a photography class at Boyce Thompson Arboretum, a gem of a park in Superior, an old mining town. It's about an hour east of Phoenix and 2000 feet up. Snow at 2000 feet in Arizona is extremely rare - once every 10 years, I'm told. It was pretty cool to be able to experience this surreal event with camera in tow.

The photographer leading the walk-about was a great teacher and introduced us to shooting in manual mode. It's all about metering...which is still a mystery to me. A lot of my photos came out with over-exposed sky so that's something I'll have to work on. Or continue to use automatic mode as my crutch...

















No comments:

Post a Comment